Updated: Jul 26
Thomas Tristram founded the company as T. Tristram Essences in 1875, almost a decade after arriving in Brisbane. Two years later, he partnered with Owen Gardiner who helped him open a factory at the rear of his family home on the corner of Grey and Hope Street.
T Tristram later acquired a property at 69 Boundary St, West End and commissioned Atkinson, Powell and Conrad to design a new factory. The factory building had a Spanish Mission style design, which is quite unusual in Brisbane during those times.
When T. Tristam Aerated Waters and Brewed Beverages opened at Boundary St in 1930, a write-up on The Architectural and Building Journal described the building as “thoroughly modern in every aspect, with a well laid out garden and lawns occupying the front of the site.”
Tristram produced different variants of their products, such as Ginger Beer, Lime Rickey, Sarsaparilla, TriCola, Lemonade, Indian Tonic, Soda Water, and Ginger Ale.
When T Tristram passed away at the turn of the century, his wife Emily Constance Tristram took over the business, along with their two sons and three daughters.
Tristram’s became the soft drink of choice for generations, until the factory was sold in 1979 to Cadbury Schweppes.
Tristram's Truck outside the Deception Bay Kiosk in 1963.
Tristram's supplied fruit drinks and cordials to most shops in the Redcliffe and Deception Bay region. This kiosk was owned by the Wallin family. It was located in Bayview Terrace Deception Bay.
Photo from the Moreton Bay Library collection: MBPS-0007-019
An original Tristram's bottle is on display in our history collection at shop 12a in the Comino's Arcade, Redcliffe.
The site is now home to Soda Factory West End, a neigbourhood centre with a newly refurbished Coles Supermarket and 22 specialty retailers. It’s being run by the SCA Property Group, who purchased the property in 2014 for $32 million.
Whilst the building underwent major renovations, its main facade was retained, as part of the group’s vision to preserve its historical value.
Meanwhile, the Tristram soft drink factory may be gone but the business continues to thrive as Trisco Foods, which is currently being managed by the fifth generation of the family.
Redcliffe Ice Works on Macdonnell Road Redcliffe:
1929 Advertisement of the Redcliffe Ice Works from the Humpybong News:
Peters famous Ice Cream, Ice Milk , Butter, Tristram's Soft Drinks:
Page 134 from the Pictorial History Of Redcliffe book 1824 to 1949:
August 1956 aerial of Margate showing the location on the Ice Works on Macdonnell Road:
1957 Advert for the Redcliffe Ice Works on Macdonnell Road Margate.
For quality Ice and Cold Storage . Gomersall Brothers Proprietors.
The Redcliffe Aerated Water Company on Grant St Redcliffe:
A page from the Pictorial History Of Redcliffe 1950 to 80s' book: