Grant St history and the Redcliffe Aerated Water Company
Updated: Oct 14, 2022
Grant Street is named after former Redcliffe mayor Walter Grant.
Walter Grant was born on the 6th April 1861 at Oakfield, St Helens, Isle of Wight, Hampshire, England and came out to Queensland in 1885 as a "ships baker". He married his wife Annie (nee Knowles) in Toowong on the 4th September 1886 in Toowong.
They settled in Redcliffe, living in Suttons St and he opened Redcliffe's first bakery in 1890 on the corner of the Brisbane Road (Anzac Ave) and Marine Parade.
An Early map of Redcliffe showing the location of the Bakery:
A photo in 1925 showing the view north along Marine Parade from Brisbane Road and the Grant's Bakery can be seen second shop from the left:
Walter Grant was elected to the Shire Council in 1914 and 1915.
Walter was elected Mayor of the Redcliffe Town Council in July 1921. He was a member of the Redcliffe Progress Association and trustee of the Redcliffe Cemetery, Life Saving Club and Show Society. Grants Creek is also named after him.
An early Ocean View Estate Map showing Grant St in 1915:
Land Sale Maps from our Pictorial History of Redcliffe Book 1824-1949 - available to purchase at the following link: https://www.redcliffebook.com/product-page/the-pictorial-history-of-redcliffe
The Redcliffe Aerated Water Company was at 4 Grant Street and the proprietors were Lloyd Staff and Alf Harbottle.
Walter's son Herbert was killed in action in World War 1 in France.
Herbert enlisted on 6th January 1916 in Brisbane, and was sent overseas in May 1916 and saw active service in Egypt before being sent on to France towards the end of 1916. Herbert was killed in action at the age of 19 years 8 months and just over a year after he enlisted
Herbert Grant, SN 5102, Service Record
Date of Birth: 19 June 1897, Redcliffe (Qld.)
Date of Death: 14 March 1917, Ligny-Thilloy near Bapaume, France
Buried: Beaulencourt British Cemetery, (Plot IV, Row G, Grave No. 27) Ligny-Thilloy, France.
The former home of Walter and Annie Grant, at 35 Suttons Street Redcliffe.
Photo taken in 2000 by Jim Fenwick.
Walter died on the 19th January 1943 and is buried at the Redcliffe cemetery together with his wife Annie.
A page from out book The Pictorial History Of Redcliffe 1950s-80s available at the following link : https://www.redcliffebook.com/shop-1
If you would like your street history commissioned, let us know by calling into our shop 17 in the Cominos Arcade at 133 Redcliffe Parade or message us on here for details of pricing