Donkin Street history - Scarborough

Updated: Oct 14

Donkin St in Scarborough is named after Henry Donkin who was born on May 1, 1844, in Romford, Essex, England. He married Margaret Cumming Raff on September 9, 1869, in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. They had nine children in 15 years. Henry lived in Brisbane where he had an importing business.

He was elected a member of the Central Board of Health on 8th March 1895:

At one time he was the Belgian Consul. He was Awarded a Knight of the Conconne for his services to Belgium by ALBERT King of the Belgians on the 10 the Sept 1913. He died on January 20, 1919, in Tenterfield, New South Wales, Australia, at the age of 74, and is buried in the Nundah cemetery.


An Early map c.1910 shows Donkin St was originally called Stuart St and only ran between Mein St and Landsborough Ave.(now Oxley Ave)

A framed reproduction of this map is available to view and purchase at the following link:

A 1915 land sale map of Scarborough shows the location of Henry Donkins house, with Stuart St still only running between Mein St and Landsborough Ave.(now Oxley Ave)

A framed reproduction of this map is available to view and purchase at the following link:

This map c.1919/20 shows Donkin St now extended up to Scarborough Rd but still not all the way to what would later become Flinders Parade. Henry Donkin passed away in 1919 and it is assumed this is when the name changed from Stuart St to Donkin St.

A framed reproduction of this map is available to view and purchase at the following link:


The Scarborough Beach map of March 1921 shows Donkin St now running through from Scarborough Road to Scarborough Esplanade ( now Flinders Parade) :

A framed reproduction of this map is available to view and purchase at the following link:


The Beldon Estate land sale map December 1921 featuring land for sale north of Donkin St, Scarborough and east of the "Road to Scarborough" (now Oxley Ave)

It was named to commemorate Henry Donkin (who passed away in 1919) with the two words "Belguim" and Donkin" to become Beldon"

"For Sale By public auction on the ground, Boxing Day 26th December 1921. at 2pm. Ideal Seaside sites and house containing 8 rooms (fully furnished) Safe bathing, rod fishing, Right On the beach."

A framed reproduction of this 1921 map can be viewed and purchased at this link

An advert in the Courier Mail on December 3rd 1921 :

"The portion of this estate was known for a long time as the residence of the late Mr Henry Donkin"

The house was used as a boarding house for many years after the sale:

A social post from the Brisbane Courier in 1928 states:

"Mr and Mrs Watson are spending a short holiday at Beldon House Queens Beach."

The first government aerial was in 1942 and shows Donkin St Scarborough and Beldon House on the Kennedy Esplanade:

Looking east along Donkin St 1956:

Donkin Street 1956 aerial:

Donkin St 1971:

Donkin Street 1986 aerial:


Land Sale map from our Pictorial History of Redcliffe Book 1824-1949 - available to purchase at the following link: https://www.redcliffebook.com/product-page/the-pictorial-history-of-redcliffe

118 views0 comments