top of page

Craig Moore

Updated: 1 day ago

Craig Andrew Moore (born 12 December 1975) is an Australian former professional footballer who played as a centre-back.

Moore was born in Canterbury, New South Wales and raised in Doonside, New South Wales. Moore, where he attended Crawford Public School and Doonside High while playing for the Doonside Hawks Soccer Club.

After his family relocated to Queensland when he was thirteen, he played junior football with Brisbane club North Star.

He attended Clontarf Beach High School on the Redcliffe Peninsula from 1989 to 1991, before a scholarship with the Australian Institute of Sport.

He is best known for his two spells with Scottish Premier Division / Scottish Premier League club Rangers. Having graduated through their youth system, he made 252 appearances for the Glasgow based club from 1993 to 2005, punctuated with a season in England with Crystal Palace in the 1998–99 First Division. In his time at Rangers he became team captain and won numerous domestic league and cup honours, including making 44 appearances and scoring four goals in their 2002–03 Treble-winning season.

After leaving Rangers on a free transfer in January 2005, Moore spent a half-season at German Bundesliga club Borussia Mönchengladbach, before moving to English Premier League club Newcastle United. Released by Newcastle after an injury hit two seasons, Moore returned to Australia signing with Queensland Roar (later renamed Brisbane Roar) in the Australian A-League, as their captain and Marquee player. After three seasons with the Roar, in January 2010 Moore moved to Greek Super League side AO Kavala, only to leave in March.

In international football, Moore has made over 50 appearances for the Australia national team, including at the 2004 Athens Olympics, and the 2006 and 2010 World Cups in Germany and South Africa. Having made his debut in 1995, he has been Australia national team captain a number of times.


Club career:

Rangers and Crystal Palace:

Moore joined Rangers youth system and became an important player at the centre of Rangers defence up until 2004 over two spells.

Moore spent most of the 1998–99 season at Crystal Palace; despite being regarded as a success in London as the club fought relegation, he returned to Rangers.

Moore was the captain of the "Olyroos", the Australian Olympic Football Team at the 2004 Olympics at Athens, Greece, when they managed to reach the quarter-finals. However, his involvement angered Rangers manager Alex McLeish as it forced him to miss the start of the Scottish league season. As a result, Moore was stripped of the club captaincy and was forced to the fringes of the team.

Moore won twelve major honours with Rangers including five league championships and a domestic treble in 2003.

Borussia Mönchengladbach

Moore was given a free transfer and joined Borussia Mönchengladbach on 3 January 2005, where he teamed up with former Rangers manager Dick Advocaat. When Advocaat was sacked after a short time in charge, Moore left the German club after falling out with the club management.

Newcastle United

On 30 July 2005, he signed a two-year deal at Newcastle United to play for the first time in the Premier League.

Moore made his competitive Newcastle United debut on 22 March 2006 against Chelsea in the FA Cup quarter-final, becoming the second Australian to play for the Magpies after Dave Mitchell who had a loan spell at St James' Park in the 1990–91 season. Moore's actual first game came at home to Yeading in which he scored one of five goals. Injuries ruined Moore's Newcastle career, and he only made eight premiership appearances in the 2005–06 season.

Moore was then injured in November 2006 and was ruled out for several months. He returned but struggled to get back into the team, with Peter Ramage, Steven Taylor, and Titus Bramble keeping him out. After Titus Bramble's dip in form, Moore returned to the first team. Moore made 17 premiership appearances in the 2006–07 season.

On 16 May 2007, it was announced that Moore's contract would not be renewed, and he was released by the club. He made 31 appearances for Newcastle.

Brisbane Roar

It was rumoured on 25 July 2007 that Moore had signed with Queensland Roar (now Brisbane Roar), to become the Roar's Marquee signing for the 2007–08 Hyundai A-League Season and the 2008–2009 season. This was confirmed with an announcement by Queensland and Moore on 25 July 2007 with Moore signing to be Queensland's marquee player for two years.

Moore left the Roar in December 2009, after falling out with the coach Ange Postecoglou and wanting a move to Europe to increase his chances of 2010 World Cup selection. Following his release, a European club was keen to sign Moore, which turns out to be Scottish Premier League side St Johnstone, where he could rejoin his former teammate Derek McInnes.


In January 2010, he moved to Greek side AO Kavala on an eighteen-month contract. He debuted for Kavala on 10 January 2010 in a 1–0 loss against Asteras Tripolis.

It was reported on 31 March 2010 that his contract with Kavala had been terminated after an off-field incident. Moore later denied there had been an off-field incident, stating he had left over fears that he could experience burnout or serious injury, endangering his 2010 World Cup place, had he stayed at the Greek side, having played 15 games in all, 13 of those in just five weeks, on top of his games at the Roar earlier in the season.

Brisbane Strikers

Moore signed for Queensland State League club Brisbane Strikers to maintain match fitness ahead of the 2010 World Cup, but Football Federation Australia requested his attendance in Socceroos camp just before he was set to make his Strikers debut.

Sydney United

Moore put on the red jersey of Sydney United in a farewell testimonial for former Socceroos and AC Milan goalkeeper Zeljko Kalac in July 2010 against Newcastle Jets.


International career:

Moore was the captain of the "Olyroos", the Australian Olympic Football Team at the 2004 Olympics at Athens, Greece, when they managed to reach the quarter-finals.

Moore represented the Socceroos in the 2006 FIFA World Cup. He scored a penalty kick against Croatia in the 39th minute of the game, enabling Australia to progress to the second round.

Moore announced his international retirement on 6 February 2008 after Australia's 3–0 win over Qatar in their first FIFA World Cup Qualifier at Telstra Dome. In September that year, Craig put his hand up for International call ups. On 1st October 2008, Australian coach Pim Verbeek announced that Moore was part of the 35-man squad for the upcoming World Cup Qualifiers.

Moore retired from international football after the 2010 World Cup.


Craig Moore is listed on the wall of the Redcliffe Wall of Fame:

A collection of portrait and information honouring the achievements of individuals who have influenced and shaped Redcliffe. The collection is in the Jetty Arcade at 139-141 Redcliffe Parade.

For a complete list of people who appear on the wall click on the following blog post:


bottom of page