Church Hills Estate Map Redcliffe 1917 and the history of Manley, Jeffrey and McNaughton Streets

Updated: Nov 12


Church Hill Estate was a 1917 land sale map that covered land west of Humpybong Creek in the Parish of Redcliffe .

The streets included were Hill St ( later renamed Jeffrey St) and Church St ( later renamed Manley St)

"Church Hill Estate. Situated in the heart of Redcliffe. Fronting Main Brisbane Road and Scarborough Road. Opposite the Catholic Church and adjoining the Redcliffe Estate".
"Within a few minutes walk of the Jetty and also the FAMOUS BATHING on Suttons Beach. It is on a gently slope overlooking the bay."
"Acting on the desires of buyers for allotments with greater frontages than the usual 33 feet, this Estate has practically all allotments of over 37 feet frontages."
"With a view of assisting buyers to find the land, notices are erected on the Estate and in addition the Strrets have been cleared and name plates erected."
"The deed is in the hands of the agents and can be inspected. Rates Paid up to end of year 1918. TERMS 1 pound deposit and 10s. per month without interest, and in addition the Agents have the option of meeting the requirements of buyers. "
"When Railway communication comes it is certain to be close to the block":
Landmarks shown include : Main Brisbane Road (Anzac Ave) Scarborough Road (Oxley Ave) Church St (Manley St) Hill St (Jeffrey St) Government Road (Humpybong Esp.) Fresh Water Creek (Humpybong Creek) Reserve for Public Purposes and a bridge across the creek .

A framed reproduction of the original land sale map is available at: https://www.redcliffebook.com/product-page/church-hill-estate-redcliffe-1885-framed-map 

Another 1920s land sale map showing the streets named Hill St and Church St:

1951 Refidex with 1940's named McNaughton St, and the renamed Jeffrey and Manley Streets:

1942 and 1956 aerials of the land:

Three men outside Wright and Walker United Milk Vendors Pty Ltd on the corner of Oxley Avenue and Manley Street Redcliffe in the 1960s.

Photo from the Moreton Bay Library collection RMPC-100-100009.jpg


Manley Street is named after Percy George Manley, with his wife Agnes and family came to Redcliffe in the early 1920's. Percy had a shop opposite the jetty in Redcliffe and built a house in Downs St.

Percy was a choir conductor for the Redcliffe Congregational Church Choir and was a founding member of the Redcliffe Bowling Club.


1923 Percy Manley with his son Col clearing the land now bounded by Downs Street and Oxley Avenue. Photo from the Moreton Bay Library collection RLPC-000-000665

20 Downs St:

Manley's Drapery Store on Redcliffe Parade :

The Telegraph - 11th February 1929:

Fire at Redcliffe - Three Shops Destroyed - Early Morning

A serious outbreak of fire occurred about 3 o'clock this morning, when three shops on the Esplanade and their contents were destroyed.

The fire was discovered by Cyril McKillop, a son of the tenants of one of the shops. He quickly gave the alarm, but the fire had too strong a hold when help arrived, and it was impossible to save the shops. Two of tho shops were owned by Mr. William Plkett, ot Petrie Road, Redcliffe. They were tenanted by Mr. William A. McKillop, who carried on a butchering establishment in one of them. In the other Mrs. and Mr A. McKillop conducted a cafe and tea rooms. The third shop was owned by Mr Vincent Henry Jeffs; of Petrle Bight, and was tennanted by Mr. Percy G. Manley, hairdresser and softgoods merchant. It Is understood that the buildings owned by Mr Plkett were insured for £800. The particulars of the Insurance of the contents owned by Mr and Mrs. McKillop are not available. The stock and fittings of the shop rented by Mr Percy G. Manley were insured for 350. The stock was valued at more than £600. Mr Manley estimates his loss at £300. Mr. Manley, who is treasurer of the Congregational Church, the Masonic Lodge, and the Humpybong School Committee, effected an entrance through a window and was able to save the books of these institutions and his own, but was unable to save any of the valuable stock. The flames reached a great height and caught the cross arms of the telephone poles in the street in front. The post was destroyed, leaving a tangled mass of telephone wires.


c.1930. Manley's Emporium on the left and Corrigan's shop on the right:

Percy was prominent in Masonic circles and played an active part in the Presbyterian Church:

Redcliffe Oddfellows c. 1920:

Lodge members: Back row from left: George H. Corscadden, Bob Thompson, Sam Walker, Tom Haskin, Ernie Palmer. Centre row from left: Bill Rawlinson, Tilley Head from Brisbane, Andy Belcher, Percy George Manley.Front row from left: Ernie Kroll, Alec Hargreaves.

Photo from the Moreton Bay Library collection - RLPC-000\000661

Percy died on 5th May 1962



Jeffrey St is named after Edward John Jeffrey who was the first official postmaster for Redcliffe in 1923 until 1929. He was born in 1874 in Kent England and married Florence A. Jeffrey,

and lived in Silvester St. Edward died in 1951 aged 76 years, and is buried in the Redcliffe Cemetery.


McNaughton St is named after William McNaughton who was born in Sterling Scotland in 1861. He came to Queensland on the sailing ship Shannon in 1884 and married Miss Jessie Jardine. We was a builder and contractor in Brisbane and then entered the service of AMP Society in 1891.

They settled permanently in Redcliffe in 1916. He was a founding member of the Redcliffe Bowling Club.

William died in Redcliffe on the 20th October 1929 and is buried in the Redcliffe Cemetery.



Maps are from The Pictorial History of Redcliffe book 1824-1949 :

https://www.redcliffebook.com/product-page/the-pictorial-history-of-redcliffe




119 views0 comments