Updated: Jan 9
Moreton Bay Library has recently made available a collection of local architectural drawings, ca.1940-1960, drawn by James Robert Hughes.
This collection includes drawings, blueprints and plans. Many of the designs are for buildings constructed on the Redcliffe peninsula. They include designs for residential housing, community buildings and churches.
James Robert Hughes was educated at St Johns Church School, Northgate and Armstrong College, before obtaining an Engineering Certificate as a Quantity Surveyor. He became an important individual in Redcliffe, acting as president of the Redcliffe RSL, government appointee on the Repatriation Committee, member of the Redcliffe Show Society Committee, treasurer of the Redcliffe Indoor Bowls Club and a senior officer at various Lodges. He served with Australian Defence Force, with the Royal Engineers for three years and with the Camouflage Unit for two and half years.
Hughes managed a range of construction operations including water towers, reservoirs, sewerage schemes, hospitals, banks, roads and bridges. He designed and supervised the construction of the Redcliffe Fire Station, as well as preparing plans for the Redcliffe Herald building and shops along Redcliffe Parade. He was an Alderman on Redcliffe Town Council between 1955 and 1958, and was Chair of the Works and Water Committee. The complete collection can be viewed at the following link:
Photograph of J R Hughes and Express Building company team. J R Hughes is on the left:
From back of photo: "Workshop and office in background for prefabrication of a house; but building control after war allowed only 1 house for each family. In front is a residence to lease with a grocer shop built in front. Later another shop was added. Corner of Oxley Avenue and Chatham Street." Photo from the Moreton Bay Library Collection: MBMP-0019-211
Building and Site Plan for Proposed Shops for G. T. & A. Cassimatis, Redcliffe Parade.
Photo from the Moreton Bay Library Collection:MBMP-0019-194
Building Plan, Sutton Street for Alterations and Additions to St Mary's Church of England, located in Sutton Street, Redcliffe.
Photo from the Moreton Bay Library Collection:MBMP-0019-023
Building and Site Plan for the Proposed Residence, Including Shops, for D G Kirby, Cnr Duffield Road & Tramore Street, Margate.
Photo from the Moreton Bay Library Collection:MBMP-0019-030.
Location and layout of Proposed Fire Escapes & Doorways for Mrs. T. Holland, Holden Court, Margate.
Photo from the Moreton Bay Library Collection: MBMP-0019-053
Stock House Plan Numbers 3 & 4 & 5 (Part of the E.B.C. Series)
Photo from the Moreton Bay Library Collection: MBMP-0019-047
Complete list of drawings available:
Proposed Flats for Mrs. A. L. Heinemann, Oxley Avenue, Redcliffe.
Building and Site Plan for the Re-erection of a Disposals Hut to be used as a Church for the Congregation of the Church of England Clontarf. Located on Sub 46 of Portion 154 Parish of Redcliffe in Cornelius Street, Clontarf Beach.
Building and Site Plan for the Proposed Residence for S. H . Martin Esq. Manley Street, Redcliffe, Queensland. Located on Sub 37 & 39 of Allotments 3-6 of Section 5 of Portion 225 Parish of Redcliffe.
Detail Plan for the Oil Store & Hose Tower for the Proposed Redcliffe Fire Brigade Station, Oxley Avenue, Redcliffe.
Stock House Plan Numbers 3 & 4 & 5 - Express Building Company Pty Ltd - Chatham Street - Margate.