Updated: 3 days ago
Alexander Street is named after Alexander Cameron who was born in Ross and Cromarty, Scotland in 1826 and he arrived in Australia with his wife Catherine in 1852 aged 29 years.
Alexander set up the first foundry in Brisbane in Queen St and cast the first iron casting ever made in Queensland on 15th July 1862.
He purchased land portion 132 and 133 of the Redcliff Agricultural Reserve on Oct. 4th 1874 paying 20 pounds for the 54 acres and portion 131 on 28th Sept. 1879, paying 18 pounds for 18 acres (when the price had risen to 1 pound per acre) he also purchased portions 141-145 thus owning all 8 blocks between Macdonnell Rd and Duffield Rd, bordering west of Victoria Ave to Elizabeth Ave.
After retiring from his trade, he was involved with an apiary business and Cameron's Honey was well known for many years.
His wife Catherine passed away on 28th Feb. 1884 at 63 years at her residence, Ebenezer, Humpybong.
Alexander then married Alice Maria Tubbs on 29th April 1885 and he passed away aged 78 years on 28th Feb.1904 and is buried with Catherine in the Redcliffe Cemetery. Section 1 Row B Plot 5.
Land sale map from our Pictorial History of Redcliffe Book 1824-1949 - available to purchase at the following link: https://www.redcliffebook.com/product-page/the-pictorial-history-of-redcliffe
A large framed 1m long aerial map of Queens Beach, including Alexander St, is available to view and purchase at: https://www.redcliffebook.com/product-page/large-framed-1956-aerial-map-of-queens-beach-redcliffe