Updated: Jul 12
On 4th October 1900, The licensing Court of Brisbane approved a new hotel to be built by Ebenezer Underhill at 75 Redcliffe Parade and it was open in early 1901. Eleanor Underhill was the Licensee of the hotel between 1901 and 1907.
Photo of the Moreton Bay Hotel c.1909 with patrons including:
William Stubbins, Fountain Pikett, Robert McGregor, Lilly Sophia Pikett, Robert Sparkes, John Espie McGregor, William Pikett, Ernie Cutts, Tom Haskins, Thomas George Beedham, Harold "Sleight" (Jack) Beedham, Eliza jane Pikett, Sarah Pikett, Alice Pikett.
Subsequent proprietors included William Ives (1911) John Atkins (1911-13) Lillian Millard (1914) Thomas Hamilton (1915) Pauline Enkelmann (1916) Mr Sim Stuart (1917) Joseph Yates (1927) and Dorothy C.F. Mussig (1934)
Photos from our Pictorial History of Redcliffe Book 1824-1949 - available to purchase at the following link: https://www.redcliffebook.com/product-page/the-pictorial-history-of-redcliffe
In 1950, the hotel’s proprietor was 1947-48 Wallaby Rugby Union Captain Bill McLean, who was widely regarded as one of the best kickers of a ball in Australia and perhaps the world, having once punted a rugby union ball over 80 yards.
Part of the original hotel was used as a temporary bar during construction of the new Moreton Bay Hotel in the 1960s Publicans were Graham and Joan Volter.
The building was then moved to the showgrounds in early 1960s by Redcliffe Rugby League and used as a clubhouse until a new clubhouse was built on south side of grounds near the Scouts Hall. The hall now forms part of the Mousetrap Theatre.
Construction of the Moreton Bay Hotel, corner Baker Street and Redcliffe Parade, Redcliffe. 1960's. Pic from Redcliffe Library collection.
The hotel was later managed by Rugby League legend Arthur Beetson in the early 1980s .
April 1983: The Redcliffe Herald:
This happy group had a drink together at the Moreton Bay Hotel.
Charlie Rose, Trevor and Roy Young, Bob Sawyers, Ken Potter and Wayne Walters.