This week's Redcliffe street aerial history is the corner of Mein and Warde Street, Scarborough. 1942, 1956 and 1969.
Mein attended William Timothy Cape's school, at Darlinghurst until 1857, when he attended the newly opened Sydney Grammar School. He left the school as captain in 1859, and was a colleague of Samuel Griffith from 1860 to 1862 at the University of Sydney, of which he was scholar, and graduated M.A. Mein became private secretary to the Attorney-General of New South Wales, but left for Queensland in 1867, and became a solicitor of the Supreme Court three years later.
He married Annie Theresa McCarthy in 1873 in Brisbane.
On 19 May 1876, Mein took his seat in the Queensland Legislative Council, and was appointed Postmaster-General and representative in the Council of the John Douglas Ministry on 8 July 1876. He retired with his colleagues in January 1879. In June 1884 Mein took office in the First Griffith Ministry in his former position as Postmaster-General, which he exchanged in the following January for the newly created post of Secretary for Public Instruction. In April 1885 Mr. Mein quit Parliament and the Ministry, and was appointed a Judge of the Supreme Court on the death of the late Mr. Justice Pring.
He became a Lieutenant Colonial of the 1st Moreton Bay Regiment for the Queensland Defence Force.
He owned land in Scarborough before returning to Sydney where he died on 30 June 1890 in Elizabeth Bay, New South Wales from kidney disease. His body was brought back to Brisbane for burial at Toowong Cemetery.
St. Andrew Warde was director of the Brisbane River and Moreton Steamship company in 1884 and was one of a number of gentleman who formed a syndicate to sell land at Scarborough and built the hotel. he also served as a member of the first Redcliffe Divisional Board in 1888. The Warde family lived for many years in Warde St Scarborough.
A high res image of your street history can be emailed to you for $25.
Please message us for an inquiry,