Luna Park in Redcliffe 1944-66.
Updated: Mar 10
Erected on an unused section of the foreshore just north of Sutton's Beach at Redcliffe Point in late 1944. Owners, Redcliffe Town Council appointed Messrs W. Scott and Philip Wirth as amusement managers for 21 years.
This was the first municipally owned enterprise in Australia and was also granted a special exemption from paying any entertainment tax. Later the enterprise was sold by the Redcliffe Town Council to local businessman Hal Buchanan who sold it on to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane, which sold it again in March 1952 to a Mr John H. Duane who also ran the Penny Arcade at the Redcliffe Jetty(halfway house)
Photos from the book The Pictorial History Of Redcliffe 1824-1949
Photos from the book The Pictorial History Of Redcliffe 1950-80s
Amusements included a steam train, ferris wheel, sideshows and car-rides as well as a salt-water swimming pool.
The park eventually closed in the late 1960s and was eventually transformed into car park and basketball courts south of Settlement Cove Lagoon in 1993.
Graphic by Geoff Joyner: