Updated: 7 days ago
On the 26th October 1938, a full page article by C.R.J Dahl in the Queenslander Newspaper wrote of Redcliffe:
YESTERDAY: Redcliffe was mainly unoccupied bush, for it is on record that in 1881 there were only five houses along the seafront from Scarborough to Woody Point. A dozen people on the beaches caused comment.
TODAY (1938) : Hundreds of houses, many shops, boarding houses, flats, and several banks and hotels line the seafront, and motor cars, buses, and steamers bring thousands of people to this picturesque resort every week-end and holiday.
TOMORROW: Brisbane's daily playground, and the country's weekly rendezvous. Airships and electric trains mocking at time, speedy charabancs and faster cars, luxurious showboats for those who delight to travel on the water. Tree-shaded flowered boulevards, magnificent residential buildings, protected swimming enclosures, cold and hot sea baths in ornate pavilions, amusement gardens, bands and orchestras, and the beaches thronged. Day prolonged far into the might by brilliant electric lights. Health, pleasure, the joy of living sought and found.
Click below to see the complete article:
Adverts included the Palace Hotel and J.H Grice Agent:
Cosy Corner Cafe at Margate "Fast Floor. Good Music" E.M. Vizer.
Hotel Scarborough (ph Redcliffe 25) E.T. Leseberg.
R. Corrigan Grocer opposite the Jetty at Redcliffe:
A 3 bedroom waterfront home for sale at Scotts Point for 1000 pounds cash.
Alan Whitehouse Sole agent Woody Point.
A full transcript is available to read below:
The original article on Trove at available here
Redcliffe Peninsula —Once A Deserted Village
By C. R. J. DAHL
"With its glorious beaches, safe bathing, picturesque sea front, beautiful panoramic views,
and unsurpassed climate, Redcliffe calls irresistibly to city and country alike. Redcliffe is a peninsula, and, being almost surrounded by the waters of Moreton Bay, is deliciously cool in summer and pleasantly warm in winter, for the sea loses its summer temperature slowly, and by the time it is chilled by the June and July frosts spring is at hand. Redcliffe comprises seven seafronted sections—Clontarf, Woody Point, Scott's Point, Margate, Redcliffe, Queen's Beach, and Scarborough. The Redcliffe section contains the administrative headquarters of the peninsula, the whole of which is the Town of Redcliffe. When Matthew Flinders sailed up Moreton Bay on his voyage of exploration in the sloop Norfolk, on July 17, 1799, he anchored off a point with a red cliff, and named it Red Cliff Point.
On September 12,1824, John Oxley landed on a rocky promontory close to the cliff, and he altered the name to Redcliffe which became the scene of the first white settlement—soldiers and prisoners—in what was then part of New South Wales, and now is portion of the State of Queensland
Origin Of The Name Humpybong:
Aborigines became so troublesome that the settlement was removed, on November 4, 1824, to the site of Brisbane, which had been discovered by Oxley, and blacks named the deserted locality "Humpybong," meaning "dead houses." Today the peninsula still bears the name. The first civilian occupation was at Clontarf, and it is one of the strange turns of the wheel of fortune that Clontarf, which soon become almost a forgotten part of the Humpybong Peninsula when settlement was established at Redcllffe, Scarborough, and Woody Point, now has become the "front door" because of the Hornibrook Highway bridge that links the peninsula with Sandgate, and provides a much shorter route from Brisbane. In July, 1888, the peninsula and the land as far as North Pine Bridge were placed under the control of the Redcliffe Divisional Board. The first members, who were appointed by the Governor-in-Council, were Messrs. E. McDonnell, St Andrew Warde, J. C. Ham, J. Duffield, C. Klingner, and T. Petrie, and the first meeting was in Brisbane on July 11, 1888. Mr. McDonnell was the first chairman, and successive chairmen—Mayors after July 1, 1921, when the peninsula was proclaimed the town of Redcliffe and the rest of the territory was merged into the Pine and Caboolture shires—were Messrs. J. Duffield (two years), J. C. Ham, H. I. Tubbs, J. H. McCullagh, H. Brookes, A. W. Ham, J. Duffield, P. Silcock, W. H. Wilson (part term), P. Silcock (part term), J. H. McCullagh, P. P. Fewings, E. B. Southerden, W. G. Hayes, W. T. Walsh, A. J. Wyllie, E. P. Morgan, P. P. Fewings, H. O'Loan, E. F. Morgan, W. T. Walsh, A. J. Wyllie, J. Wayman, W. T. Walsh, W. J. Baldwin, E. B. Grenup, R. B. Barron, A. J. Wyllie, W. S. Silvester, A. Stevens, J. Young, S. G. Bailey, J. B. Dunn, J. Johnston, S. G.Bailey, and A. H. Langdon. The last mentioned has a record length of service, as he was elected Mayor on April 22, 1930, and still holds that office. Clerks employed by the council have been Messrs. E. Cooper (1888), A. B. Patterson (part of 1889), D. Service (1889-99). C. Spode (1899-09), A. Ashmole (1909-14), P. H. Adams (1914 April, 1928), and L. J. Lucas, A.F.I.A., who was appointed in 1928 and still occupies the post. The personnel of the Redcliffe Town Council comprises: The Mayor (Ald. A. H. Langdon) and Aldermen A. Sampson, R. Hill, P. S. Frost, W. H. McPherson, J. C. Hewett, and J. T. Perkins. The town clerk is Mr. L. J. Lucas, and the overseer of works Mr. P. G. Richens. Of 100 traders on the Redcliffe peninsula, 50 are members of the Redcliffe Traders' Association, which was formed in October, 1937, and enthusiastically carries into effect its motto: "The advance of Redcliffe and the mutual protection of trade." The officers comprise: President, Mr. J. H. Grice; vice-president, Mr. J. Harvey; secretary, Mr. S. Humberstone; treasurer, Mr. A. Brazier; committee, Mrs. J. Beedham, Messrs. W. Day, J. Harvey, H. J. Buchanan, and J. Symonds.
The Meeting Ground Of Sportsmen: The Peninsula and Country Golf Club was founded in 1933. The grounds at Clontarf were surveyed in February, 1934, construction began in March, 1934, and the course was officially opened on April 4, 1935. The course aggregates 167 acres, and is 6789 yards in length; 25 acres were re- claimed from the foreshores of Hayes Inlet to complete the 18 holes. The membership numbers 211, and with the crowds of visitors who come from Brisbane at the week-ends, it has become a popular rendezvous for golfers. The first officers included Messrs. M. Christophersen (president), the Mayor of Redcliffe (Ald. A. H. Langdon), and Messrs. L. P. Power, D. Wright (vice-presidents), and W. P. Lang (resident secretary), with Mr. J. R. Quarton as professional. The present officers are: Patron, Sir Edward Macartney; president, Mr. M. R. Hornibrook; vice-presidents, Messrs. G L. H. Peterson, S. Francis, E. J. Manson, A. W. Beauchamp, E. S. Cornwall, and R. J. Hornibrook; captain, Mr. W. T. Potts; treasurer, Mr. J. Evans; secretary, Mr. Bruce Dunstone. The club's professional is Joe Heath. Redcliffe possesses a fine bowling green and an active club whose officials comprise: President, Mr. E. J. Jeffrey; senior vice-president, Mr. H. E. Goldsworthy; vice-presidents, Messrs. R. Corrigan and C. E. Radcliffe: secretary, Mr. A. J. McKenzie; treasurer, Mr. S. Stirling.
The Scarborough Yacht Club was established four years ago and holds a regatta annually in Deception Bay at Easter. The officers are: Presiden,. Mr. E. J. Westaway; secretary, Miss P. Leseberg; treasurer, Mr. S. Stirling; commodore, Mr. S. Humberstone. Officers of the newly-formed Redcliffe Peninsula Amateur Fishing Club are: Patron, Mr. E. J. Westaway; president, Mr. P. R. Sykes; vice-persident, Mr. E. T. Leseberg; secretary, Mr. W. R. Dobson; treasurer, Mr. J. Harvey; committee, Messrs, R. Bulwinkel, S. Humberstone, F. Thomas, and P. E. de Mestre. The Woody Point, Clontarf, and Margate Progress Association was formed, in 1920, with Mr. John Campbell as president. ' The association originally represented Woody Point only; Clontarf was included in 1935, and Margate in 1938. Mr. S. G. Bailey, one-time Mayor of Redcliffe was president for a number of years, and was elected a life member. The present president is Mr. W. T. Hartland, alderman for the Windsor West ward before the Greater Brisbane scheme. Mr. W. T. Lang was secretary for a long period; the present secretary is Mr. N. I. JjJglis. a new-comer to the district. The officers are: President, Mr. /W. T. Jnrtland; vice-presidents, Messrs. P. R. Champion and J. Miller; secretary, Mr. N. I. Inglis; treasurer, Mr. A. Whitehouse. The Scarborough Progress Association was organised in 1923, and has directed its activities not only for the betterment of Scarborough, but for the peninsula in general. Its present objective is to obtain a reclamation wall extending from Reef Point to the western side of the jetty in Deception Bay, the area behind the wall to be utilised for parking purposes. The officers are: President, Mr. J. H, Elson; vice-president and treasurer, Mr. H. Monaghan; secretary, Mr. H. Giese.
The local sub-branch of the R.S.S.I.L.A. is an active body, whose officers comprise: President, Mr. R. Train; vice-presidents, Messrs. A. Williams and L. J. Lucas; secretary, Mr. R. A. Glanville; treasurer, Mr. P. Richens.
Work And Progress Of The Churches :
St Mary's Church of England, Redcliffe was built and dedicated in 1899. Redcliffe was then part of the parish of Caboolture. The services were first conducted by the Rev. J. F. Leighton. The Rev. H. C. Beasley followed in 1900; the Rev. Z. A. Higgins in 1903; and the Rev. W. J. Gerrard, with the Rev. C. S. Dunbar as curate, in 1907. In 1908 Redcliffe and Kilcoy were proclaimed a parish, and the Rev. W. J. Gerrard became the first vicar. In 1910 the Rev. V. H. Whitehouse was appointed; in 1913, the Rev. H. R. Hobbs; in 1915, the Rev. C. H. Fisher; in 1920, the Rev. A. E. Hockey; 1925, the Rev. A. W. King; 1933, the Rev. A. W. Gilbert; part of 1936. the Rev. W. Nicholls; and in 1936 the Rev. J. Tweedie, who still holds the position. Colonel F. Koch is senior people's warden. St Mark's, Woody Point, which is conducted in conjunction with St Mary's, was opened in 1900.The Sacred Heart Roman CathChurch was built at Redcliffe in 1898, and the parish priest of Caboolture conducted services there at intervals. In 1920 Redcliffe was created a parish, and the Rev. Father J. Ryan, who had been at Caboolture from 1895 to 1907, and took a prominent part in pioneering the Redcliffe church, was appointed parish priest. He relinquished the post in 1930, and was succeeded by the Rev. Father A. E. O'Brien, still parish priest. The church building was added to in 1923 and used as a church school. In 1821 St Joseph's Convent was established and many children have received education there. The Presbyterian Church at Redcliffe was built in 1937, and was opened in December of that year. The present minister is the Rev. J. Elphinstone Moffatt. The Methodist Church is at Margate. It was opened on December 4, 1937, and, with a building which was brought from Deagon this year and re-erected at Scarborough for use as a church and Sunday school, constitutes the Redcliffe Home Mission station under the supervision of the Oonnexional Secretary (Rev. A. A. Mills), assisted by a student, Mr. G. Swain. The Congregational Church at Redcliffe was officially constituted in 1905, and be came a branch of the then Wharf-streetCongregational Church, Brisbane, under the pastorate of the Rev. Loyal L. Wirt. The Congregational cause in Redcliffe, however, is more than 50 years old. The Sunday School hall was the original church at Clontarf. It was moved to Redcliffe, where later a new church was built. The first resident minister was the Rev. P. C. Stevens (1906). The present minister is the Rev. J. H. Smith, L.Th., who has been in charge for about seven years. The Woody Point Congregational Church was built in 1916. The first minister was the Rev. J. P. T. Short. Since 1930 the ministers have been the Revs. H. J. Taudevin, J. H. Smith, and H. P. Schlencfcer. The Baptist Church is situated at Margate, and comprises a building brought from Sandgate to the present site. It is a branch of the Sandgate Church. The first minister was the Rev. R. Horn, and the present minister is the Rev. E. V. Keith.
Redcliffe Has It The Young Redcliffe Bands movement was first suggested by Mr. P. Tritton. who suggested to Mr. J. H. Grice that he should organise bands in Redcliffe. When the Traders' Association was formed it decided to organise bands in Redcliffe. The* Traders' Association called a public meeting, and a committee was appointed to raise funds, and in five months it succeeded in obtaining sufficient to pay cash for instruments to the value of £150, and has placed an order with a city firm for another £200 worth. Thirty six boys are in the mouth-organ band, and when the brass instruments are ready these boys will be taught to play them. The committee conducts weekly euchre and dance evenings to raise money. As Mr. F. Tritton was the first to suggest the band the committee has asked and he has consented to accept the office of foundation patron. Mr. J. H. Grice is instructing the members of the band, Mr. W. Juster is secretary, and Mr. Sykes treasurer. The Humpybong Boy Scouts troop, with Mr. N. I. Inglis Scoutmaster, embraces all areas within the Peninsula. There are two patrols. Seagulls (M. Juster, leader) and Kookaburras (B. Larter, leader). The Scouts have a hut on a council reserve. The Redcliffe branch of the Country Women's Association was founded in 1928. An outstanding feature is the upkeep of five seaside cottages, which are available at a small rental to country members, preferably those from outback, for a seaside holiday. The present objective is the erection of a rest room and hall on an area adjacent to the Town Council Chambers, made available by the Commissioner of Police. The president is Mrs. W. H. Roberts, the secretary Miss E. Lynch, and the treasurer Mrs. E. Begg. The younger set was formed in 1933; the president is Miss Lena Wilkie, and the secretary Miss Esme Powell. Many children from the West have found health and happiness in the Sir Leslie Wilson Home, which is conducted under the Bush Children's Health Scheme. The house, which is in Prince Edward Parade, was the generous gift of Mr. A. Huybers. The home is conducted by an able committee, of which Miss Sara Wilson is president. Miss Kathleen Langdon secretary, and Miss MacKenzie treasurer. In 1885 a police reserve at Redcliffe was gazetted, and the following year a police station was established. Constable W. H. Wade being placed in charge. The present staff comprises Second class Sergeant T. G. Long, and Constables H. T. Stevens and E. O. Fischer. The first post office was established in the eighties on the Brisbane road, and was conducted by Mr. Mitchell. The postmaster at Redcliffe for a considerable period was Mr. E. J. Jeffrey, who recently retired, and the relieving postmaster is Mr. A. Taylor. Mr. H. J. Buchanan is in charge of the semi-official post office at Margate, and Mr. W. T. Lang is in charge of the semi official office at Woody Point. The Scarborough office—also semi-official—is in charge of Mr. E. N. Jocumsen. A provisional school was opened on the Humpy bong Peninsula on February 1, 1876. Later it became the Humpybong State School, and was established between Woody Point and Redcliffe. The present staff comprises Messrs. A. J. Stapleton (head teacher). Misses F. L. Taylor and J. K. Henderson, and Messrs. R. W. H. Turnbull and R. Devantier (assistant teachers). The growth of population at Queen's Beach and Scarborough necessitated the opening of a school at Scarborough on March 9, 1925. The present staff is: Head teacher. Mr. C. E. Radcliffe; assistant teachers. Misses M. M. Harvey, A. M. Trezise. and V. F. Gallen, and Mr. J. T. Donohue. The rapid increase of settlement at Woody Point and Clontarf—particularly Clontarf—has resulted in an agitation for a third school to better serve, those two centres. "
"YESTERDAY: Redcliffe was mainly unoccupied bush, for it is on record that in 1881 there were only five houses along the seafront from Scarborough to Woody Point. A dozen people on the beaches caused comment. TODAY: Hundreds of houses, many shops, boarding houses, flats, and several banks and hotels line the seafront, and motor cars, buses, and steamers bring thousands of people to this picturesque resort every week-end and holiday. TOMORROW: Brisbane's daily playground, and the country's weekly rendezvous. Airships and electric trains mocking at time, speedy chara- bancs and faster cars, luxurious showboats for those who delight to travel on the water. Tree-shaded flowered boulevards, magnificent residential buildings, protected swimming enclosures, cold and hot sea baths in ornate pavilions, amusement gardens, bands and orchestras, and the beaches thronged. Day prolonged far into the might by bril- liant electric lights. Health, pleasure, the joy of living sought and found."