top of page

First Nations Toora Kerry Kerry/Humpybong/Redcliffe place names and c.1824 topography map


Before European settlement in 1824, the area now known as Redcliffe was home to the Gubbi Gubbi (Kabi Kabi) and the Ningy Ningy people (Ningi Ningi, Ninghi Ninghi), being the southern most clan of the Undambi people of the Sunshine Coast. The First Nations people enjoyed the foods that could be easily found in and around the waters of the Redcliffe Peninsula. Their name is said to mean "oysters" and they were identified as the "red ochre people, Their dialect is from the Kabi language and is called "Ooondoo".

The Ningy Ningy name for the Redcliffe Peninsula was 'Toora Kerry Kerry' (Bora of the many fish or mullet)

The red cliffs were known by the local indigenous name of 'Kau-in Kau-in' which translated means 'blood blood' (red like blood) . The white cliffs of Scotts Point know as 'Banda Mardo' (white clay) The Ningy Ningy took the red and white ochre soil and used it to paint themselves in their tribal colours of red and white.

The Ningy Ningy also called Redcliffe 'Yura' which means 'spotted gum'.

The suburb of Kippa-Ring derives its name from the ceremonial bora-ring on the peninsula where neighbouring groups combined to carry out rituals. The word ‘Kippa’ refers to a young man. 'Kurbingaibah' is a Ningy Ningy/Turrbal word that means a place of the Kippa Rings. Kurbingaibah is a place of cultural and spiritual significance to the Ningy Ningy people.

The name Humpybong is a derivative of the Aboriginal words 'ngumpin' anglicised to ‘oopie-bong’, humpy or 'oompie' meaning shelter and bong which is presumed to mean vanished, together meaning deserted shelters. They refer to the buildings left by the first European settlers when they moved to the second settlement site on the Brisbane River. While Redcliffe was always the official name of the Peninsula, Humpybong was used by the settlers and locals right up until well into the 1930s.

 

Redcliffe First Nations place names and topography map c.1824

Research - Ray Kerkhove - Artwork and Video: Duane Hart.

From a 2018 project mapping the original Redcliffe from an accurate 1840 topography map, sourced from the archives in the history room at the Redcliffe Library. The map created shows original vegetation and creek locations along with the original Ninghy Ninghy place names. The original 1942 government aerial photo was overlayed with modern streets, and this movie is also available to view in the Redcliffe Museum.


The first nations history and original Ninghy Ninghy name of Redcliffe - Toora Kerry Kerry (Bora of the many fish or mullet) was researched by Ray Kerkhove and was located in 2 sources including a 3 part Nambucca and Bellinger News article by James Grayson in 1929.

We also have a large map available for public viewing in the Suttons St entrance of the Cominos Arcade.









Tom Petrie's Reminiscences . A book published in 1904 by his daughter Constance Campbell Petrie has 2 pages of valuable information at the rear, with original Ninghy Ninghy place names and meanings.


We have a 1904 first edition book in our shop that is available for research and the book is also available as a free pdf at the following link:

petrie remin
.pdf
Download PDF • 73.23MB




Sandy Point (mouth of Pine - north side) "Kulukan" (Pelican)

Scotts Point- "Banda Mardo" (White Clay)

Humpybong - "Warun" (Waroon)

Redcliffe - "Kau-in Kau-in" (Blood -red like blood)"

Redcliffe - "Yura" (Spotted Gum)

Caboolture "Kabul-tur" (place of carpet snakes)

Caboolture (Bribie dialect) "Wonga-dum" (Wongadoom)

Narangba - "Narangba" (small place)

Stony Creek, Narangba "Bulba"

A 1949 government aerial showing the location of the Bora Rings at Kippa-Ring and the 1956 aerial showing it was no longer visible due to land clearing. 1972 and 1982 aerials show the development.

Boama, also known as Sammy Bell, worked for the Redcliffe pioneer Harriet Bell.

Mrs Bell a landowner, encouraged local aboriginals to camp and hunt on her land at the mouth of Bells Creek. The Woody Point Progress Association created a monument on his grave in the form of a tree with cut branches. It reads " A tribute from Woody Point friends to the memory of Sammy Bell (Boama) Who died on February 2nd 1913. The Last Of His Tribe". A detailed history of his time living in Woody Point is at the following LINK


 

3 links to interesting information the Bora rings location are at:
















Comments


bottom of page