Updated: Oct 14, 2022
This c.1890 map shows land from Mein Rd to Kennedy Esplande (now Flinders Parade) and Govt. Rd (now Griffith Rd) to Donkin St and Llewellyn St ( now Adams St)
We have finally worked out where the Queens Beach Land Sale map from c.1890 is located. Portion 242 and early maps show portion 242 was originally owned by T. Jones in 1878.
Featuring Mein St, Percy St ( now Frawley St) Llewellyn St ( now Adams St) Landsborough Ave ( now Oxley Ave) and Sea View Terrace (was William St and is now Prince Edward Parade)
The initial confusion was the reference to Landsborough Ave and the inclusion of a street called Sea View Terrace , however when compared to maps in 1915 and 1942 we can see that this street was called William St in 1915 and then went on to be Prince Edwards Parade.
Griffith Estate map c. 1920 showing the houses that are built and their location.
In this map Llewellyn St is now named Ross St (later named Adams St), Rupert St is later named Frawley St and Prince Edward Ave (now Prince Edward Parade)
The first government aerial photo on 10th November 1942 at 10 000 feet.
An aerial taken on 14th August 1956 at a lower altitude of 5380 feet.
A 1971 aerial photo by Jack Hill, from theMoreton Bay Library collection: RLPC-001\001443
Adams St is named after the Adams family:
John Adams was born in Enfield, Middlesex in 1836.
Eliza Breavington was born on 22nd July 1839 in Stoke, Newington, Middlesex.
They married on 8th April 1860 at St Andrews Church in Enfield:
John and Eliza Adams arrived in Australia in 1866 on the Netherby (a Black Ball liner of 944 tons under the command of Captain Owen Owens) which was wrecked on western side of King Island in the Bass Strait on 15th July 1966. All passengers & crew safely made it to shore and were later rescued and taken to Melbourne where they were housed in the (then) Exhibition Building (behind the State Library)
After their arrival in Brisbane they made their way to Humpybong where they purchased portions 138 and 139 - 36 acres of land on the eastern side of Maine Road between (now) King & Bell Streets for 4 pounds 10 shillings, and resided in their property called Oak Farm.
They had 10 children. 3 were born in England (Mary Anne (born 1860) Eliza (b.1862-66) and John (b.1864) and 2 travelled with them on the voyage to Australia in 1866.
The 7 children born in Queensland include: Catherine Sophia (b. 1867) Alice (b.1869) Ellen (b. 1871) Minnie (b. 1874) Joseph (b. 1876) Emma (b. 1879) and Fanny (b.1884)
The children attended the first Provisional School in Humpybong and appear in the first school register in 1876.
John was an engineer on the Sugar Farm owned by John Ham at Clontarf and he also ran a ferry boat across the bay from Woody Point to Sandgate.
John Died in on 24th September 1889 in West End, Brisbane aged 53 years. Eliza passed away on 8th October 1927 aged 88 years. They are both buried together in the Humpybong (Redcliffe) Cemetery. Plot 1/B/8.
Adams was also called Llewellyn St in 1890s and Ross Street in the early 1900s.
This map is available as a framed 16x20" print at the following link: https://www.redcliffebook.com/product-page/queens-beach-c-1890-land-sale-map-framed-16x20
The map also appears in the Pictorial History Of Redcliffe Book 1824-1949.
Donkin Street history can be found at the following link:
Mein Street history can be found at the following link: