Updated: Feb 26
Trilby Misso was born on 8th June 1916 in Kandy, Central Sri Lanka, and married Mayleen Phyllis Enid Remeirs on 17th Dec 1939 in Bambalapitiya, Western Sri Lanka.
He arrived in Australia with his family in 1956 and bought a residence in Dunbar St where they lived for the next 25 years.
Opening up his first office in a tiny 3x3m space in the Comino's Arcade in 1956, he was joined by his son Hilton in 1964, moving to a larger office in 1974.
The firm Trilby Misso Lawyers, would, over the next few decades, grow into one of the best known law firms in Australia.
A great champion of Redcliffe, Trilby became a successful land developer and keen golfer.
Trilby was instrumental in the construction of the Olympic sized Redcliffe Memorial swimming pool. After campaigning for the swimming pool (at the time there was great opposition to the project) he was awarded the foundation patron of the Redcliffe Swimming Club.
Trilby was also part founder of the Redcliffe Golf Club, he was also Patron to the Golf Club from 1983 to 2000.
Trilby was heavily involved in establishment of the Redcliffe Aerodrome alongside Norm Thurecht, and was inaugural patron of the Redcliffe Aero Club.
Trilby was also a patron of the Bramble Bay Bowls Club, Legionnaires Society of Redcliffe, and was a great supporter of the Redcliffe Show Society and the Salvation Army.
In 1993 he was honoured with a testimonial dinner, hosted by the Citizens of Redcliffe.
Misso Street was named in 1976 after the street was developed by Hilton Misso, between Elson and Kirkwood Streets. Streets also showing in this aerial are Magnolia St, Marigold St and Robina St.
Early aerials showing the development of the land on the corner of Macdonnell Rd and Victoria Ave, including Kirkwood St, Elson St, Buckingham St, Chartwell St and Windsor St.
John Hodges and Mayor Cecil Kroll discussing town planning with Trilby Misso and unknown gentleman. Photograph taken sometime between mid 1960s - mid 1970s.
.Photo from the Moreton Bay Library Collection RMPC-100\100307
Redcliffe Golf Club Committee 1962. Back from left to right: Lloyd Staff, Bob Jackson, Kevin Butler, Cyril McKenna, Reg Christensen, David Knight (senior), Col Bainbrigge and Harry Austin. Front from left to right: Cliff Vaughan, Pat McCabe, Dick Wightman, Kingsley Misso (senior), Trilby Misso and Theo Sherwood.
.Photo from the Moreton Bay Library Collection RLPC-001\001911
Redcliffe Golf Club Committee and pennant players1961. Back from left to right: David Knight, Col Bainbrigge, Lloyd Staff, Rob Heaney, Alf Harbottle and David Knight (senior). Middle from left to right: Daryl Towerton, Barry Cooke, Trilby Misso, Mike Carmody, Bob Jackson and Harry Austin. Front from left to right: Theo Sherwood, Kingsley Misso, Frank Luddy, Dick Wightman, Pat McCase and Cyril McKenna
Photo from the Moreton Bay Library Collection RLPC-001\001914.
Mayleen Street in Clontarf was named after Phyllis Mayleen Enid Misso who was the wife of well known Redcliffe solicitor and land developer, Trilby Misso. The aerial photos below also show the progression of Mayleen St, Lucinda St, Athena St, Baringa St and Hill Parade in Clontarf from 1956 to 1972
Trilby named the street in honour of his wife in the 1960's and it was part of the Panoramic Heights Estate.
Phyllis Mayleen Enid Misso was born on 8th May 1920 in Matara, Sri Lanka.
Phillis (nee Reimers) and Trilby Misso were married on 17th December 1939 at Bambalapitiya, Western Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka.
She passed away on the 2nd April 2002 aged 81years.
Trilby passed away on the 24th Feb 2009 in Redcliffe aged 92years, and they are buried together in the Redcliffe cemetery.
Trilby Misso is listed on the wall of the Redcliffe Wall of Fame:
A collection of portrait and information honouring the achievements of individuals who have influenced and shaped Redcliffe. The collection is in the Jetty Arcade at 139-141 Redcliffe Parade.
For a complete list of people who appear on the wall click on the following blog post: