As a young boy, Marle Juster moved with his family from Brisbane to Margate in 1935, attending Humpybong School. There was little more than 2000 people living on the Peninsula at the time. His first job was delivering six penny blocks of ice to families all around the Peninsula. He also had a paper run out at Woody Point, for which her earned five shillings.
Leaving school in 1937, his first permanent job was at Buchanan's Cash and Carry at Margate. The old shop had just sawdust on the floor and carried every conceivable grocery line from near kilo tines of jam, to soap half a metre long.
He gave notice on his 18th birthday and enlisted in the Australian Army on 27th March 1943 (Service Numbers Q122068, QX52912 ) and was posted into a transport unit , the 5th Division Transport Petrol Company, serving in in Dutch New Guinea, the Solomon Islands and New Britain. He was discharged on the 3rd June 1946.
When the war ended, he returned to Redcliffe working at Margate Cash and Carry before buying a baker’s business for 250 pound in 1947.
Merle's first building was on McCulloch Ave at Margate behind Martin's Butcher Shop.
it served as a bakehouse for Marle Juster when he first set up his business
From the Moreton Bay Library Collection: RLPC-001/01826
He knew nothing about baking but had an eye for opportunities and he started a small cake and pastry business, which he ultimately developed into two bakeries and three retail shops. They were called "Marles Cake Shops".
“I couldn’t call them Juster Cake Shops”
Mr Juster joined the Redcliffe Peninsula Chamber of Commerce at its first meeting in 1947, and as a member of the Redcliffe Community Hospital Committee worked for many years to raise money for a public hospital in Redcliffe.
Marle married Janet McAdam in 1949 and had four sons.
Marle Juster's hard work and passion saw him appointed as President of the Queensland Pastry Cooks Association, the first president of the Council of Australian Pastry Cook's Association an a member of the Baking Industry Association of Queensland.
Staff at Marles Cakes on Redcliffe Pde near Anzac Ave. Christmas 1959.
Staff from left Helen Clyde,,?, May, Marle Juster,Len,?, Vernon Hoger.
In 1989 he was awarded the Medal of the order of Australia.
The life member of History Redcliffe (formerly Redcliffe Historical Society) was passionate about preserving the Peninsula’s past and excited about what the future held for the place he called home for more than 80 years.
He was the first recipient of the Redcliffe Businessmen Of The Year award and is a life member of the Redcliffe Historical Society. He was a foundation member of many of the Peninsula's foremost organisations and lived in retirement in Scarborough with his wife Erica.
Marle Juster Place, a complex of seniors units at Kippa-Ring,,was named after Marle in October 2005. Photo by Ian Harding from the Moreton Bay Library Collection RLPC-002\002187
Marle Juster passed away peacefully on the 2nd January 2017, aged 92, survived by his wife of 32 years Erica, sons John, Neil and Robert and stepchildren Ann, Sam and John.
Marle Juster is listed on the wall of the Redcliffe Wall of Fame:
A collection of portrait and information honouring the achievements of individuals who have influenced and shaped Redcliffe. The collection is in the Jetty Arcade at 139-141 Redcliffe Parade.
For a complete list of people who appear on the wall click on the following blog post: