Church Hill Estate Humpybong 1878

Updated: Oct 28

Church Hill Estate Humpybong is an early land sale map for land west of Elizabeth Ave advertised as being close to the railway line that was proposed to run from Petrie to Redcliffe in 1878.


"Being allotments 201a Parish of Redcliffe.

"The whole of the Estate is on good rising land and free from gullies, swamp &c. Most of the Allotments have Double Frontages to main cleared Government Road leading to Woody Point and a Government Road at rear."

"The estate adjoins the NATIONAL SCHOOL. The HUMPYBONG RAILWAY will pass close to the Estate".

"There is also good fishing and crabbing in Haye's Inlet which is only 2 minutes walk.

PRICES marked low to insure quick sale. Terms 10s. deposit and 5s. per month or to suit purchaser."

"NO INTEREST 5 percent discound for cash. For Sale by J.H Henzell & Sons Albert St Brisbane."

Local road shown include the :Main Cleared Road to Woody Point (Elizabeth Ave) and a Govt, Road (Macdonnell Rd)

Local sketch also shows: J. Mitchell Post Office, Edwardstown Estate, Hayes Inlet, Church Res. School (The second Humpybong Provional School) Land owned by: Copson, C. Cutts, G.F. Bendell""

"R. Board, C. Kislingsbury, A. Cameron, Church, Mt Pleasant"

"Water reserve, W. Williams, A. Huesman, J. Anderton, Seaview Estate, T. Snooks, M.Ham."


"W.J. Wary, A proposed Jetty at Bells Beach. and Bramble Bay"

Early 1878 and 1883 maps show the land west of Elizabeth Ave and the cemetery and north of the second Provisional School at the corner of Macdonnell Rd and Elizabeth Ave.

Other local land sale maps from this time included the St Kilda Estate, Hastings Estate and Isle Of Man Estate, and are available to view at our blog post: https://www.redcliffebook.com/post/early-1889-humpybong-land-sale-maps-and-the-proposed-railway


A 1928 land sale map shows a John Crystal owned blocks 202, 203, 212 and 213 west of Elizabeth Ave.

The 1952 Refidex shows Chrystal St - that would become Snook St when the road was extended in 1987.

Chrystal St was named after the Chrystal family. Thomas was born in Melbourne in 1860 and moved to Queensland and married Bridget O'Neill in 1887. They had two daughters, Lillian and Christina. Lillian married Richard Devers. Thomas was a plumber and the Chrystal family settled in Woody Point in 1900 living in a cottage in Caroline St.

1956 and 1987 aerials show the location of the land and the newly named Snook St.

A framed reproduction of this 1878 map is available to purchase at: https://www.redcliffebook.com/product-page/church-hill-estate-humpybong-1878-framed-landsale-map



The map also appears in The Pictorial History of Redcliffe book 1824-1949 :

https://www.redcliffebook.com/product-page/the-pictorial-history-of-redcliffe

Available to view and pickup from shop 17 in the Cominos Arcade 133 Redcliffe Parade and various framing options are available.

235 views0 comments